COPE 378 - Union Representative Training Program
The Education Committee is pleased to announce the introduction of our Union Representative training program. The purpose of this program is to provide formal training to qualified Job Stewards to develop their skills which potentially can be used to assist in the COPE 378 office and as part of our future workforce planning. Those selected for the program will receive a total of 6 weeks training; 2 weeks of formal classroom training followed by 4 weeks of practicum training. It is anticipated the training program will begin mid May. All training will be held at the COPE 378 office in Burnaby.
Applicants for the Union Rep training program must meet the following criteria:
- Education – candidates must have a minimum of Job Steward Level 1 and 2 training however, they must also show ongoing additional training though the Local, Labour Council and/or CLC
- Skills – must have experience handling grievances up to stage 2 including writing and presenting the grievance
- Flexibility – must be able to work flexible hours
- Union Involvement – must demonstrate ongoing activism within COPE 378
- Union Values – must demonstrate an understanding of the values and policies of COPE 378
- Computer Skills – must at least be at the intermediate level in Microsoft Office
- Communications – must have strong written/oral communication skills
- Analytical Skills – must be able to demonstrate analytical skills through collective agreement interpretation
- Driver’s License – must have a valid BC driver’s license and have a vehicle available for COPE 378 related work
- Travel – must be able to travel
If you are interested in applying for this training program, please submit a letter outlining your interest in the program and how the training can be applied by you as a Job Steward in your workplace. Please also include a resume demonstrating the criteria noted above. Interviews will be performed for qualified applicants and testing will be a part of the interview process.
Application information should be sent to COPE 378 - 2nd Floor, 4595 Canada Way, Burnaby, BC V5G 1J9 to the attention of Yudon Garie or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for receipt of the applications is April 20, 2012.
Chair, Education Committee