COPE 378 represents nearly 400 meter readers at BC Hydro. Starting early 2012 these workers, many of whom have served British Columbians for years, will be out of a job as a result of Smart Meters. COPE 378 has been working since the introduction of the Smart Meter Initiative to try to get a transition plan for these workers but the government and BC Hydro continue to refuse re-training.
- Download the sign to post on your analog meter opposing Smart Meter installation
- Register a Smart Meter-related change to your Hydro bill
While people are not allowed to physically prevent installation of a meter or deliberately damage their old or new meter, we are providing signs which people can choose to print off to post on the meter or on their house next to the meter. The sign provides an opportunity to register opposition to the Smart Meter program.
A communications representative from BC Hydro told the Burnaby Now newspaper that if there are people who refuse to allow them access to their homes, “B.C. Hydro would like to speak with them and address their concerns, and during that process the smart meter installation on their home would be put on hold.” It is our hope that BC Hydro will continue to take this approach when dealing with members of the public with signs on their meters.
The Smart Meter Initiative will cost British Columbians almost $1 billion. In other jurisdictions where Smart Meters have been installed they have led to higher electricity rates through time-of-use billing. The Union of BC Municipalities passed a resolution calling for a moratorium on Smart Meters due to health and privacy concerns, but the government and BC Hydro refuse to take action.
- Contact Energy Minister Rich Coleman to voice your objection to the cost associated with Smart Meters: 1 billion dollars and nearly 400 family and community-supporting jobs.
- Write a letter to the editor letting people know about your concerns and how they can complain to the government and BC Hydro.
- Share the COPE 378 Stop Smart Meters sign around. Our easy shortlink is http://tinyurl.com/StopSmartMetersSign